Work will start in the first half of 2021 to upgrade a number of stations along the older than 125 year old T3 Bankstown Line.
The contract to upgrade stations between Sydenham and Bankstown to metro rail standards was recently awarded to an unincorporated joint venture of Haslin Constructions and Stephen Edwards Constructions
Stations upgraded as part of this contract include Marrickville, Canterbury and Lakemba Stations and will include:
- Upgrading and re-levelling existing platforms
- Two new lifts at Canterbury Station, connecting the concourse to Platforms 1 and 2
- New family-accessible toilet at Canterbury Station
- Upgrades to stations like painting, improved lighting, tiling and paving
- Upgrading security fencing to the rail corridor, including installing anti-throw screens on existing over bridges adjacent to each station
- Improvements to interchanges including bike parking, taxi spaces, kiss and ride and accessible parking.
“I am looking forward to seeing the works commence to improve the facilities at our stations. It will prepare customers for the arrival of the South West Metro and integrate with our existing train services to give more customer choice in their day to day journeys.”Warwick Talbot
Further contracts will be awarded in 2021.